Today my discussion isn’t really much of a discussion, but more of a heads up and explanation of what’s coming. It’s no secret that I have a massive TBR list, I mean, I do have it posted for all to see. It should also be obvious that I read quickly, so I was never really concerned before.
But I just started a new job this week. After being unemployed for 3 months, I am back to working full-time. At a job where I won’t be able to read for at least an hour a day. Needless to say, that dramatically cuts down on my reading time. Instead of reading off and on all day, I will now be confined to the evening. This time is not only for reading books, but also for writing reviews, reading blogs and commenting on said blogs. So I guess no more finishing a book every day and a half.
With this in mind, I have decided to try to get my TBR list down to a realizable size. I plan to do the following:
- reduce my book tour commitments. I will obviously keep the dates I have already agreed to, but I will only be joining tours for books I really want to read. Unless the tour doesn’t require a review, then I might consider it.
- stop buying books and downloading free ebooks. That should be fairly easy to do.
- stop requesting Netgalley books. Again, fairly easy to do, I just need to stop browsing the site.
- reduce the number of author submitted books I accept. I need to be picky and only accept books I really want to read. This will be the most difficult one, because I love getting email from authors, and I hate disappointing them when they put themselves out there. But I currently average one review request a day, so this is something I need to do.
What do I hope to accomplish?
- empty my Netgalley list, and then only have 2-3 books at a time
- empty my author submitted list, and then only have 2-3 books at a time
- empty the TBR bookshelf sitting beside my computer, chose the few books I want to keep, and then giveaway the rest. This will likely take time as I love to give them to you readers, but postage is so expensive.
- once these are done, I can start reading the ebooks I bought or received as gifts.
Timeline? No clue. As soon as I can. I think with a smaller TBR list I wouldn’t feel the pressure to read in every spare moment. I don’t want to burn out, that’s for sure. This is just too much fun.
Have you ever had to do something like this?